Our progress to net zero
See a summary of the actions we've taken so far to work towards our 2030 zero carbon targets for the council and the county.
- The Council’s carbon footprint has seen a reduction of 43% in emissions between 2008/9 and 2018/19 – this is equivalent to 11,875 tonnes of CO2e. (carbon dioxide equivalent)
- We believe Herefordshire was the first county in the UK to have 100% LED street lighting. Since 2011/12 there has been a 65% reduction in the electricity used for street lighting.
- As of March 2020, there is 608kWp of solar PV installed on council buildings, generating 512,487kWp per annum.
- Since 2003, there has been a 69% increase in cycling levels on the dedicated off-road cycle network.
- In 2013/14 the council was awarded government grant money for the installation of electric vehicle charge points in 11 locations across the county including Hereford city and all of the market towns. Before this, there were no publically available electric vehicle charge points.