Electric vehicle charging points
We support the use of energy efficient and low emission vehicles and there are now 15 publically available electric vehicle charging points in 14 locations across the county. The charge points are either 7kW chargers which are run by bpChargemaster as part of the bp pulse network on behalf of Herefordshire Council, or 50kW chargers which are run by SWARCO on behalf of Highways England.
Drivers of electric or hybrid vehicles that need to plug in and charge can get a free 30 minute parking ticket to display in their vehicle at council-owned, off-street car parks.
Electricity at the council 7kW chargers run by bpChargemaster (bp pulse network) is free, electricity from the 50kW charge points run by SWARCO is subject to a charge.
These charging points are part of the national network. Search online for maps and apps with live availability of all electric charging points and any tariffs that apply across Herefordshire and the rest of the UK.
If a charging point shows a fault, looks damaged or if you experience any problems when using it, please ring the 24 hour helpline numbers - 0330 0165126 for bp pulse 7kW charge points and 0208 515 8444 for SWARCO 50kW charge points. The council does not carry out any repairs or maintenance on these charge points.
To use the charging points in Herefordshire you must:
- Have a 'Type 2 connector' for your vehicle for the 7kW charge points (the 50kW chargers have tethered cables)
- Have a 'Polar' card, SWARCO card or mobile phone with you
Charging point locations
- St Martins Avenue (7kW dual charger bp pulse) – Up to 4 hours free parking for electric vehicles while recharging in the two reserved bay charge points, Monday to Saturday 8am to 6.30pm
- St Martins car park (50kW charger SWARCO)
- Garrick Multi Storey (7kW dual charger bp pulse) - located on Floor 3. Accessed via the down ramp from Floor 4 to Floor 3.
- Plough Lane Council Offices (7kW dual chargers bp pulse) - for staff and visitor use only in the week, general public at weekends and bank holidays.
- Shirehall (7kW dual charger bp pulse) - staff and visitors only in the week, general public at weekends and bank holidays.
- Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre, HR2 6LA (7kW dual charger bp pulse) - car park open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday only. Closed bank holidays and Christmas fortnight.
- Venns Close car park (7kW dual charger bp pulse)
- Mill Street car park (7kW dual charger bp pulse)
- St Katherine's car park (7kW dual charger bp pulse)
- Tenbury Road car park - owned by Bromyard and Winslow Town Council
We receive a number of Freedom of Information requests about electric vehicle charge points. Before submitting a request you may find the answers in our general information about electric vehicle charge points.
There are government grants available to help with the cost of installing charge points at home and at the workplace. For more information visit the government grant page.