About Council Tax discounts and exemptions
You can get money off your Council Tax bill, or even pay nothing, in certain circumstances.
Discounts and exemptions
A discount or exemption depends on your current situation and circumstances, but does not take account of income or savings. If you are on a low income, you may also be able to get help to pay your bill through Council Tax Reduction. We will need to assess your financial and other circumstances to see what help you qualify for.
There are also some properties that are exempt from Council Tax
This section provides further information on the types of discount available, including:
- Single person discount
- Disabled person reduction
- Carer or care worker discount
- Student discount or exemption
- Apprentice discount
- Person aged 18 and eligible for child benefit discount
- Patient in care home or hospital discount or exemption
- Severe mental impairment discount
- Person in detention or prison discount
- Religious community discount
You may be able to have other reductions on your Council Tax bill as follows:
If you are having difficulty paying your Council Tax, regardless of whether or not you receive Council Tax Reduction, the council may be able to reduce the amount you have to pay. Visit our Council Tax Hardship page for more details.