- Information held about you
As part of the Council Tax discounts and exemptions application process, Herefordshire Council will collect personal data about you and members of your household where appropriate.
This information collation may include:
- Details such as address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, household composition or signed medical evidence from your general practitioner
- Other relevant information to process your application
We will use this data to process your application and may check some of the information with other sources to ensure this data is accurate.
- Who is processing your data
All personal data held, is processed in accordance with data protection law. The data controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
Hoople Ltd is the data processor who will process your information on behalf of Herefordshire Council.
- How we will use the information we hold about you
We will collect information about you (where applicable) to:
- Process your application for Council Tax discounts or exemptions
- Where the processing is necessary to comply with legal obligations, for example the prevention and/or detection of crime including fraud
- Protect public funds
- How the law allows us to use your information
The legal basis for processing the data is:
- Your consent, which you can withdraw at any time by notifying us. Please be advised that where consent is withdrawn your application for Council Tax exemptions and/or discounts will no longer be able to be processed. Consent is unable to be withdrawn in cases for the prevention of crime
- Our legal obligation under the following legislation
- Local Government Finance Act 1992 and associated Orders
- Local Government Finance Act 2012 and associated Orders
- The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992
- The prevention/detection of crime, including false representation in accordance with the Fraud Act
- Who we will share your information with
Subject to a legal gateway your information may be shared for the prevention of fraud and criminal activity with (list not exhaustive):
- The Department for Work and Pensions
- HM Revenues and Customs
- The Police
- Health and Social Care organisations
- Environmental health section for Herefordshire Council for homes in multiple occupation
On occasions, your information may be accessed by contracted IT support organisations in the delivery of IT support for both the IT infrastructure and associated systems, for the processes detailed in this privacy notice. Access by IT support will only be for such reasons as fixing any technical issues with software, and any viewing of data will be incidental to this.
We will not share your information with organisations unless there is a legal gateway to do so. However, there may be certain circumstances where we would share without your consent such as where we are required to do so by law, to safeguard public safety, and in risk of harm or emergency situations. We will only share the minimum information for the purpose, on a need to know basis and with appropriate individuals.
- How long we keep your personal information
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The information outlined in this privacy notice will be kept for the period required by the council for legal and audit purposes. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
- Your rights
You have a number of rights under data protection law, including the right to request your information and to request that the information is amended or erased if incorrect.
To request your records, you will need to provide proof of identification and write to the Information Governance Team, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE or email email@example.com
You also have the right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner's Office.
- Providing accurate information
- It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you to assess your needs and deliver the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please tell us so that we can update your records.
- Further information
If you have any questions or concerns about how your information is used, please contact the revenues and benefits service - Council Tax team at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
You can also contact the Data Protection Officer, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, email email@example.com
You can find more information about data protection and how it applies to you on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- Service web page