Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are people who are employed, usually by a charity or local council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a carer's discount to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25 percent.

Carer discount

To qualify for a discount for carers, the property where the care is being given must be the carer's main and sole residence.

The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week on average and they must not be:

  • The partner of the person who is being cared for, or
  • The child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18

The person being cared for must normally get one of these benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an Industrial injury

Care worker discount

To qualify for a care worker discount, the property where the care is being given must be the care worker's main and sole residence and:

  • Be employed to provide support or care to another person at the same address for a minimum of 24 hours a week
  • Provide care or support on behalf of a charity, local council, the Government or employed by the person being cared for (they must have been introduced to this person by a local council, charity or the Government)
  • Earn no more than £44 a week before deductions

Download a form to claim carer or care worker's discount

When someone within a property is living elsewhere to receive care or treatment in either a hospital, nursing home or care home, or is away receiving personal care (other than a hospital or care home) due to old age, disablement or illness, it is possible that a patient in hospital or care home Council Tax discount or exemption may apply.