We use cookies

Coronavirus information

Information on how coronavirus is affecting our services across the county and the latest updates

Carer or care worker discount

Care workers are people who are employed, usually by a charity or local council, to provide care. Carers are unpaid.

In some circumstances, we do not count a live-in carer when adding up the number of people in a property. If just you and your carer live in your home, you may be able to get a carer's discount to reduce your Council Tax bill by 25 percent.

Carer discount

To qualify for a discount for carers, the property where the care is being given must be the carer's main and sole residence.

The live-in carer must provide care for at least 35 hours a week on average and they must not be:

  • The partner of the person who is being cared for, or
  • The child's parent if the person being cared for is under 18

The person being cared for must normally get one of these benefits:

  • The middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Increase in Constant Attendance Allowance under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance payable on top of full rate Disablement Benefit paid for an Industrial injury

Care worker discount

To qualify for a care worker discount, the property where the care is being given must be the care worker's main and sole residence and:

  • Be employed to provide support or care to another person at the same address for a minimum of 24 hours a week
  • Provide care or support on behalf of a charity, local council, the Government or employed by the person being cared for (they must have been introduced to this person by a local council, charity or the Government)
  • Earn no more than £44 a week before deductions

Download a form to claim carer or care worker's discount

When someone within a property is living elsewhere to receive care or treatment in either a hospital, nursing home or care home, or is away receiving personal care (other than a hospital or care home) due to old age, disablement or illness, it is possible that a patient in hospital or care home Council Tax discount or exemption may apply.