We use cookies

Coronavirus information

Information on how coronavirus is affecting our services across the county and the latest updates

Student discount or exemption

You get money off your Council Tax bill if:

  • Everyone living in the property is a student. The property will be exempt so there will be no Council Tax to pay
  • Two people (over 18) occupy the property but one is a student. You may be entitled to a student discount of 25 percent and the non student will be responsible for the remaining Council Tax bill
  • If a student lives at the property but there are two or more non students (over 18) also occupying the property, there is no student exemption or student discount applicable

Download a form to claim student discount

Who is a student?

You are classed as a student if you are undertaking a full-time course of higher education for at least one academic or calendar year AND:

  • The course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year and it involves a minimum of 21 study hours per week, or
  • You are undertaking a nursing diploma course, or
  • You are undertaking a student midwife course, health visitor course or a student nurse at university, or
  • You are a foreign language assistant, at a school or other educational establishment, provided you are registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges

You can also be classed as a student if you are under 20 years old and undertaking full-time further education (for example, A-levels, ONC or foundation courses) which are not an evening class, correspondence course or undertaken as a result of your job. The education must last at least three months and tuition and study should exceed 12 hours a week and normally be carried out between 8am and 5.30pm. Child Benefit for the student may also have stopped.

You may also be entitled to a discount if you are the spouse or dependant of a student and you are not a British citizen and are prevented by immigration rules from taking paid employment or claiming benefits.

To apply, you must complete the student discount form and provide a student certificate for every student. You can get these from the college or university.