Care leaver discount
Herefordshire Council is passionate about improving the lives and life chances of our care leavers.
From 1 November 2018 you may be entitled to 100 percent discount on your Council Tax bill, so you pay nothing, if you:
- Are a care leaver aged between 18 and 25
- Have been in the care of Herefordshire Council for at least 13 weeks from the age of 14
- Were in care on your 16th birthday
- Are liable for Council Tax, or a share of Council Tax, on a dwelling in Herefordshire
If this applies to you, you still need to apply for any other reduction to which you are entitled such as:
- Student discount or exemption
- Single person discount
- Council Tax Reduction
but we will top up your entitlement with a care leaver discount so you will not have to pay Council Tax until you reach your 25th birthday.
The discount only applies to Herefordshire Council care leavers living in the county.
For full details, please read the Care leaver Council Tax discount policy.
Download a form to apply for care leaver discount
Your Personal Advisor or another approved person has to complete Part 2 of the form.
Revenues and Benefits will inform you once the discount has been agreed. It is important to keep paying any Council Tax bills you receive while you are waiting to hear the outcome of your application.