Health and safety
The health and safety team assists Herefordshire Council in ensuring that all of its employees, visitors and customers have a safe environment to work and access our services.
We provide an advisory service and support to those who need assistance in maintaining compliance with health and safety legislation and best practice. We also monitor health and safety performance, and produce reports and statistics to help us find ways of improving our service.
Our duties include overseeing the health, safety and wellbeing of staff and pupils in maintained schools; advising Management Board, service managers, directorate steering group members; and assisting managers with the investigation of any accidents, incidents or near misses on council property.
The council's delegated funding scheme gives schools control over their own management of health and safety and allows them to prioritise issues that directly affect their establishment. We offer a full advisory service to enable all local authority schools and educational establishments to comply with the legal requirements.
Below are some links to documents which schools may find helpful when reviewing their health and safety management systems. Any Herefordshire Council branded documents have been written to specifically refer to Herefordshire Council's processes and procedures, and should only be used as a reference point for the creation of documents specific to your school.
Health and safety checklists
Reporting and investigating accidents and incidents in schools
- Accident reporting procedure
- Accident report form
- Minor injury log
- HSE - Investigating an incident
- HSE - Reporting accidents in schools
- HSE - Make a RIDDOR report
Risk assessment and management
- Risk assessment form
- Risk assessment for expectant mothers
- New and expectant mothers at work
- Hazard identification and risk management procedure
Asbestos in schools
- GOV.UK - Asbestos management in schools including legislative framework
- HSE - Managing asbestos in schools FAQs
- HSE - Checklist on managing asbestos in schools
- Asbestos management guidance
- Asbestos management procedure
Safety in education visits
- HSE - School trips FAQs
- HSE - Myth busting - school trips and outdoor activities
- GOV.UK - Health and safety advice for schools includes school trips
- Outdoor Education Advisers' Panel
- Off-site visits
- HSE - Fire safety
- Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- Fire safety risk assessment - Educational premises
- Building Bulletin 100
- Fire safety shared premises
- First aid needs assessment
- First aid kit checklist
- First aid risk assessment checklist
- DfE - First aid in schools