Children's cycling activities
Holiday cycling activities 2019
There will be more free holiday cycling activities during the October half term. Please check back nearer the time for the booking form, or follow us on twitter @hfdscouncil.
About the cycling activities
Learn to Ride
- Two-hour sessions for 4-11 year olds to help young riders move from balance bikes or stabilisers onto pedals
- Parents are required to stay during these sessions
For the Learn to Ride sessions we usually remove stabilisers and pedals, then lower the seat and get the children to 'scoot' the bikes until they are comfortable balancing on a moving bike for quite long distances and using the brakes to slow. Finally we put the pedals on, and off they go.
- Two-hour sessions for 6-11 year olds to learn more advanced cycling skills
- Parents are not required to stay during these sessions
- A short, off-road cycle ride, suitable for all ages
- Parents and family members are welcome to join in
Playing Out sessions
Our Community Bicycle Ambassadors run a variety of different Playing Out sessions throughout the year allowing children of all ages to play outside in a safe traffic free environment. We have balance bikes and games for your children to use but please bring your own bikes, scooters and games if you can. Please click the schedule at the top of the page for the full list of our upcoming Playing Out sessions.
If you would like to close your local road/street to allow children to be able to play outside in a safe traffic free environment, please contact us (details below) and we can organise this for you for free. More information on the popular Playing Out initiative.
For further information on Learn to Ride, Cycle Skills, Led Ride or Playing Out sessions:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01432 260068
- Follow Herefordshire Council on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Sign up to the Bike Champions newsletter