EYFS training for schools and settings
The Early Years Improvement Advisory Team can offer a range of training packages for providers, including briefings for leaders and managers, training for designated officers and bespoke training for group settings, including some accredited courses. Please contact a member of the team for further information:
In the sections below you can find information about training to support the requirements of EYFS and Ofsted, and other training for specialist roles:
- Creating user accounts for CPD and Hoople online
- EYFS induction
- Paediatric first aid certificate
- Food hygiene
- Early years safeguarding
- Training for pre-school SENCOs
- National organisations offering EYFS training
Herefordshire CPD online and Hoople Training Services offer a range of courses to support statutory training and professional development for early years providers. The Early Years Improvement Advisory team advertises courses on the Safeguarding channel of Herefordshire CPD online.
- Herefordshire CPD online - Workforce Development for Schools and Early Years
- In Logon panel on left of page, select new user and complete new online user account form.
- You will need to select your job title, and your organisation from drop down lists. If your organisation is not listed, or you are self-employed, ring the contact given to register.
- Log in to book for training courses.
- Hoople Training Services - Browse the courses or search by keyword.
- Call or email Hoople customer services number on site for enquiries and to book.
Statutory training for early years providers
To meet the requirements of Early Years Foundation Stage you need be able to show that you understand the learning and development requirements relating to observation, assessment and planning for children 0-5 years. This means showing that you have completed an approved induction course for EYFS such as one from the list below:
- Pacey - online introduction to becoming a childminder. Meets Ofsted requirements for EYFS training
This must be a course lasting at least 12 hours and contain appropriate training that would satisfy Ofsted. Look for a training provider that offers a level 2 certificate accredited by a company such as Qualsafe.
Hoople, previously PCT training, offer:
- Hoople - Paediatric First Aid training
- Anubis Training
- St John's Ambulance
- British Red Cross
- Collingwood First Aid
Food hygiene training is widely available and all childminders should have this qualification:
- Hoople - Level 1 Certificate in Food Hygiene Awareness
- National Day Nursery Association - Food Hygiene Training - reasonably priced, level 2 training
Other general EYFS training, some of which will be accredited, may also be available from the following organisations:
For information about availability of local safeguarding training:
- Visit Herefordshire CPD online, select Early Years and search for training you require in the keyword search.
You will need to create a user account to enrol on courses.
- Hoople Training Services Apprenticeships / Children and Young People's Workforce (a range of modules available from the L3 Children and Young People's Workforce Diploma Level 3)
- Herefordshire Safeguarding Children Board - Training, access through CPD online, and details of HSCB's training strategy
Training for all new pre-school SENCOs is essential. Existing SENCOs also need refresher training every few years.
Herefordshire Council runs training for pre-school SENCOs every term. The training is designed so that SENCOs will:
- Have a clear understanding of their role as SENCO and the current legislation applying to their setting
- Know how to use the SEND Code of Practice graduated approach to assessment and planning, and how to review children's progress
- Know how to refer for inclusion support, funding and Education, Health and Care Plans (where relevant)
To find out the date of the next training session or to book a place visit:
- Herefordshire CPD online, select Early Years and search for SENCO
- National Day Nurseries Association NDNA - additional basic EYFS training appropriate for new staff in early years settings. Not LEA approved.
- National Children's Bureau NCB
- Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years
- Early Years Alliance
You may need to be a member of some of the above organisations in order to access their training.