Becoming a childminder

What is a childminder?

A childminder is a person who receives payment for working in their own home, looking after at least one child for more than two hours a day. They may employ assistants who can be left alone with the children for no more than two hours a day (with parental permission).

How do I become a registered childminder?

Everything you need to know is on the GOV.UK site: Becoming a Childminder

If you wish to register with a childminder agency, you will need to contact the individual agency to enquire about their registration requirements. Please visit the list of childminder agencies.

Requirements for running a business

You may also need to contact the following agencies to see if you will be able to meet other requirements that may apply once you are running your business:

  • Fire safety
  • Planning permission and building control
  • Information Commissioners Office
  • Food Standards Agency

As a registered childminder you must register as self-employed with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) within three months of starting work.

For further guidance on running a business you can refer to: Hempsalls Business Support Toolkit and PACEY Business Smart.

Nursery Education Funding

The government provides varying levels of funding to help parents and carers of children aged 2, 3 and 4 with childcare costs. Once registered with Ofsted, you can decide whether to offer the free early years education entitlement (Nursery Education Funding) to parents. You can offer funded places to 2, 3 and 4 year olds for the universal entitlement of 15 hours of early education, or the extended 30 hours for eligible 3 and 4 year olds.

Further advice

For pre-registration advice and any further queries, please contact: