Statutory assessments for SEN

Statutory assessment

The school, college or other setting can provide quite a lot of resource from the funding they already have in their budget. If, having used existing resources appropriately to Assess-Plan-Do-Review, the child is not making progress then the local authority may need to conduct a statutory assessment.

There are several stages to statutory assessment and you will be involved throughout. The first stage is making a request following which the local authority determines whether special educational provision is required that is additional to, or different from, that ordinarily provided in a mainstream school or college.

If we agree that the needs are severe, complex and long term or in-school options for support have been exhausted, we can issue an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan. The plan draws together assessments of your child's education, health and care needs and states the desired outcomes and provision required to meet the outcomes.

Read more about EHC Plans and how they work

Does a school have to admit a child with SEN or disability?

The School Admissions Code of Practice requires children and young people with SEN to be treated fairly. Admissions authorities:

  • Must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN but do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school's published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures
  • Must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs
  • Must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan