Pre-school Senco

What to do if you think a child may have additional needs

  • Where a child appears to be behind expected levels, or where a child's progress gives cause for concern, practitioners should consider all the information about the child's learning and development from within and beyond the setting, from formal checks, from practitioner observations and from any more detailed assessment of the child's needs. From within the setting, practitioners should particularly consider information on a child's progress in communication and language, physical development and personal, social and emotional development
  • All the information should be brought together with the observations of parents and considered with them
  • Setting practitioners should follow the graduated response for Herefordshire and plan appropriate support and intervention using the graduated approach to SEN support - assess, plan, do, review (see SEND Code of Practice 2014 and Herefordshire Early Years SEND graduated response)
  • With parental permission, practitioners can refer the child for inclusion support from your Early Years Improvement Advisor. Child referral for Early Years inclusion support This is a downloadable form for completion offline.
  • With parental permission, it may be appropriate to contact the child's Health Visitor to share your concerns
  • Consider initiating an Early Help Assessment if the child's needs require a multi-agency response
  • Request support for your setting

If a child has a severe developmental delay or complex needs you may find it useful to use the Early Support Developmental Journal (Cambridgeshire version) to help plan and track progress.

Early Years SEN Team Events and Training Autumn 2023

We are very pleased to be able to offer a range of events and training opportunities for Herefordshire settings and childminders. All events are full day and face to face unless otherwise stated and are available to book through Eventbrite. Please click on the Eventbrite link for each event to find out more and book your place.




  • Tuesday 7 November 2023
    EY SEND for childminders - Session 3
  • Tuesday 7 November 2023
    Portage Workshop session 1*
  • Monday 13 November 2023
    Portage Workshop session 2*
  • Tuesday 28 November 2023
    Portage Workshop session 3*

*Booking links for the Portage workshops will be added shortly, please check back again soon.

Early years team and Early Years SEND manager contact details

The Department for Education have also produced a document on advice on the admission of summer born children.