Transport for 16-19 year olds
We are able to provide transport assistance to some students attending college or sixth form (including The Barrs Court Hub and years 12,13 and 14 at Westfield school). You can apply for transport if you meet the following criteria, you will need to pay a contribution towards the cost:
- You go on to full-time education after you leave school in year eleven
- You're under 19 years old at the beginning of the academic year
- You live more than three miles from your place of study
- You live at an address that pays Council Tax to Herefordshire Council
- You are studying a full-time course (more than 15 hours a week) in Herefordshire, unless you're studying outside the county because your course is unavailable in Herefordshire
You can find information on bus routes on our bus services page. Students attending their local school sixth form will be allocated a space on existing school transport. On the majority of routes, a bus or rail travel permit will allow you to travel at any time during the day before 6pm Monday to Friday, term-time only.
Post-16 transport is subject to an annual parental contribution. The charge for the 2020/21 academic year is £828, split into three termly payments. A pro-rata charge is made when not paying for a whole term. No refunds are issued for reduced or cancelled travel in the summer term. You may be able to apply to the college you are attending for help funding this. If you are unsuccessful in receiving a subsidy or bursary, you will have to fund travel yourself.
We recommend investigating your route to college as the cost of 'pay as you go' or 'buy a multiple journey' tickets may be less than the amount we charge if you are not travelling every day. The 16-17 Railcard enables the purchase of rail tickets at a 50 percent discounted rate, if you intend to travel to college by rail from Leominster, Ledbury or Colwall stations you should investigate this option. Further details are available at 16-17 Saver. You should fully explore your travel options before making an application.
You can apply online even before you have been accepted into college and will be refunded the payment before term commences if you are not successful. Please note you must allow up to 28 days for the provision of a travel pass and we are unable to refund travel expenses incurred while travelling without a pass.
The closing dates for applications for train passes are:
- Autumn term train pass - 11 September 2020
- Spring term train pass - 15 January 2021
- Summer term train pass - 16 April 2021