EHC Plans

Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans are legally binding. A request for an EHC Needs Assessment is made where a child does not make expected progress following the Assess/Plan/Do/Review cycle and the special educational provision required cannot reasonably be provided from within the resources normally available to their educational setting.

Family Conversation

If the discussion suggests that an assessment is needed then the Family Conversation should be completed. For children under five this is likely to be done with nursery staff or perhaps a health professional. The completed Family Conversation is submitted to the local authority and we must decide within six weeks whether to carry out the assessment.

View and download the template for a Family Conversation for EHC needs assessment

You can also write directly to us to request the assessment. We'll still need to complete the Family Conversation with a professional who knows you and the child well to make sure we have all the information available to make the right decision.

If you have any queries about how a request is made, please contact the SEN Team:

How long will it take to get an EHC Plan?

We must issue a completed EHC Plan in 20 weeks from the request for assessment.

See what happens and when in the Herefordshire Statutory Assessment flowchart

What does an EHC Plan look like?

The 2014 SEND Code of Practice describes what should be included in an EHC Plan.

What if a child doesn't qualify for an EHC plan?

The 2014 Code of Practice applies to children with SEN whether they have an EHC Plan or not.

Support for parents and carers of children with SEN

We always aim to provide the best support and advice that we can. If you have any concerns please contact us:

If you feel that you need further advice that is independent of the local authority, please contact:

From September 2014, there will be Independent Parental Supporters who can give independent and neutral advice and information to support to families and carers with children who have been identified as having special educational needs. You can contact an Independent Parental Supporter via SENDIASS or Herefordshire Carers Support on the above numbers.

How do I challenge a decision the Local Authority has made?

In the majority of cases disagreements can be resolved by discussing the issue and reaching a suitable solution. If we get to a point where we cannot reach an agreement, families have the right to formally appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST).

If you feel that you need further advice that is independent of the local authority, please contact:

  • SENDIASS (formerly Herefordshire Parent Partnership Service) Telephone: 01432 260955

Contact the SEN team

Please contact the SEN team with any queries about the above: