We use cookies

Coronavirus information

Information on how coronavirus is affecting our services across the county and the latest updates

Pre-school Senco

What to do if you think a child may have additional needs

  • Where a child appears to be behind expected levels, or where a child's progress gives cause for concern, practitioners should consider all the information about the child's learning and development from within and beyond the setting, from formal checks, from practitioner observations and from any more detailed assessment of the child's needs. From within the setting practitioners should particularly consider information on a child's progress in communication and language, physical development and personal, social and emotional development
  • All the information should be brought together with the observations of parents and considered with them
  • With parental permission, refer the child for inclusion support from your Early Years Improvement Advisor. Referral for Early Years inclusion support
  • With parental permission, it may be appropriate to contact the child's Health Visitor to share your concerns
  • Consider initiating an Early Help Assessment if the child's needs require a multi-agency response'
  • Plan appropriate support and intervention using the graduated approach to SEN support - assess, plan, do, review (see SEND Code of Practice 2014)

If a child has a severe developmental delay or complex needs you may find it useful to use the Early Support Developmental Journal (Cambridgeshire version) to help plan and track progress.

See Herefordshire's 'Children with SEND in early years - referral and intervention pathway' for more information.

Early years team contact details

The Department for Education have also produced a document on advice on the admission of summer born children.