Hereford Transport Package
The Hereford Bypass, as part of the Hereford Transport Package, is a key infrastructure project that is necessary to drive the economic growth of Hereford and the region. It is identified as a priority within the council's Economic Vision, Local Plan Core Strategy (LPCS) and Local Transport Plan (LTP) and also within the Marches Strategic Economic Plan and Midlands Connect regional transport strategy.
The Hereford Transport Package will:
- Enable the delivery of future housing, employment and educational development by maintaining acceptable peak hour journey times across the city
- Enable the delivery of future housing, employment and educational development by providing attractive alternatives to the private car for journeys within the city
- Enable the improvement of regional connectivity by achieving acceptable peak hour journey times on the A49 through the city
- Ensure the transport network within Hereford is resilient enough to provide consistent journey times throughout the day
- Encourage healthy lifestyles by encouraging more people to walk and cycle
- Reduce the impacts of transport on air quality and noise within the city
- Protect the quality of the urban realm to enhance pedestrian connectivity in the city
- Improve road safety within the city
July 2018 update - public meeting dates
In January this year, the council’s Cabinet approved a short-list of route corridors for the bypass and a public consultation on these and proposals for the other elements of a Hereford Transport Package was undertaken during February and March.
Based on the technical work and the public consultation feedback, more detailed reports have been produced which recommend a preferred route. Based on this assessment the recommendation has been made to opt for the red route. If Cabinet approve this recommendation, the red route will be taken forward for further scheme development and consultation later this year.
The council's Cabinet considered these reports at a meeting on Friday 27 July 2018 at the Shire Hall in Hereford, and anyone was able to attend to observe the proceedings. The audio of the meetings were broadcast live at www.herefordshire.gov.uk.
In addition, the council's General Scrutiny Committee called in the decision for pre-decision scrutiny on Wednesday 18 July 2018 at 10am. They considered the proposed Cabinet decision at that meeting and made some recommendations which will be considered by cabinet. The committee were able to support the proposed red route based on the evidence presented.
You can view the report for Cabinet, associated technical reports and appendices.
You can keep up with the latest news on the Hereford 2020 blog.
- Hereford Transport Model - Report of highways surveys
- Strategic outline business case
- Reports presented to Cabinet 27 July 2018
- Reports presented to the General Scrutiny Committee 18 July 2018
- Hereford Transport Package (HTP), Consultation and Route Selection Report, Easy Read version
- FAQs HTP Feb 2018
If you would like help to understand these documents, or would like them in another format or language, please call customer services on 01432 261800 or e-mail HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com
If you have any questions about the Hereford Transport Plan consultation you can call us 01432 261800 or email us HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com