Hereford Transport Package
Walking, cycling, bus and public space improvements consultation
Tuesday 29 January - Monday 11 March 2019
Improving the way we travel in and around Hereford is important to reduce journey times, cut pollution, create a safer environment for all road users and make the city a better place to live, work, study and visit.
Proposals set out in the Hereford Transport Package include the Hereford bypass and associated improvements to walking, cycling, bus and public spaces, which are designed to make it easier to move about the city and give people more choice about how they travel.
During a public consultation in early 2018, 87% of people who responded said they approved of the walking, cycling, bus and public space improvements proposed. Since then, work has been taking place to develop these further.
We now want to hear your views on these proposals and learn more about what would encourage you to walk, cycle or use the bus more often.
Find out more about the proposals
Read a copy of our brochure:
- Brochure HTP consultation January 2019
- Easy Read Guide to Walking, Cycling, Bus and Public Space consultation
View our exhibition
You can come along to the public exhibitions being held on:
- Tuesday 29 – Thursday 31 January, 11am-8pm - Left Bank (Bridge St, Hereford)
- Monday 4 - Thursday 7 February, 10am-6pm - Old Market kiosk, Hereford.
- Tuesday 12 February - Saturday 9 March 2019 Hereford Library during library opening hours (unstaffed)
Or view the exhibition online at:
- HTP consultation Jan 2019 Display boards 1-5
- HTP consultation Jan 2019 Display boards 6-14
- Examples of improvement measures
Have your say and give your views
The best way to give us your feedback is to complete the online questionnaire:
Or you can download a copy of the questionnaire with images:
Easy read brochure and questionnaire
or download a copy of the questionnaire:
Find answers to some frequently asked questions
If you are completing a paper version of the questionnaire, please send your completed response to:
- FREEPOST:RTHL-BBZH-JATH Hereford consultation, Balfour Beatty Living Places, Unit 3, Thorn Business Park, Rotherwas, Hereford HR2 6JT
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 01432 261 800
Draft Hereford Design Guide consultation - 28 January to 11 March 2019 - proposed guidance to improve the quality of design in new development, public realm and movement projects across the city.
The Hereford Transport Package includes the proposed Hereford Bypass and improvements to the city centre for people who walk and cycle. It is a key infrastructure project that will:
- Improve local and regional connectivity by providing an alternative route to the existing A49 through the city
- Encourage new business and job creation by making Hereford a more attractive place to locate with improved road connections and more reliable journey times
- Enable the delivery of future housing and educational development, attracting people to live and study in the city
- Reduce the impact of accidents and breakdowns on the city’s roads by providing an alternative crossing for the River Wye
- Reduce the impacts of transport on air quality and noise within the city, and improve road safety
- Encourage healthy lifestyles by improving public spaces and encouraging more people to walk and cycle
The Hereford Transport Package, is identified as a priority within the council's Economic Vision, Local Plan Core Strategy (LPCS) and Local Transport Plan (LTP) and also within the Marches Strategic Economic Plan and Midlands Connect regional transport strategy.
July 2018 update – Approval of preferred route for Hereford bypass
In January 2018, the council’s Cabinet approved a short-list of route corridors for the bypass and a public consultation on these and proposals for improvements to walking and cycling in the city was undertaken during February and March.
Based on technical work and the public consultation feedback, more detailed reports were produced which recommended the red route as the preferred route.
The council's General Scrutiny Committee called in the decision for ‘pre-decision scrutiny’ on Wednesday 18 July 2018, where they considered the proposals and recommendation before it went to the Cabinet meeting. The committee were able to support the proposed red route based on the evidence presented.
The council's Cabinet considered these reports at a meeting on Friday 27 July 2018 where there was approval of the recommendation that the red route be taken forward for further scheme development and consultation.
You can view the report for Cabinet, associated technical reports and appendices – see below.
The audio of the meetings were broadcast live and are available at www.herefordshire.gov.uk.
- Hereford Transport Model - Report of highways surveys
- Strategic outline business case
- Reports presented to Cabinet 27 July 2018
- Reports presented to the General Scrutiny Committee 18 July 2018
- Hereford Transport Package (HTP), Consultation and Route Selection Report, Easy Read version
- FAQs HTP Feb 2018
If you would like help to understand these documents, or would like them in another format or language, please call customer services on 01432 261800 or e-mail HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com
If you have any questions about the Hereford Transport Package you can call 01432 261800 or email HerefordTransportPackage@balfourbeatty.com