There are a number of developments underway to improve facilities in Hereford for residents, visitors and local businesses, encouraging people into the city and ensuring they have a great experience when they are here.
Work to upgrade the city centre as an attractive and easily accessible destination for visitors and shoppers continues, with the recent refurbishment of Commercial Street and upcoming plans to improve Market Square and the Broad Street area.
Improving how we travel in Hereford is important so there is easy access to work, education, shops and leisure activities. There are a number of projects to provide new and improved roads and facilities for public transport, pedestrians and cyclists.
The city link road is complete, providing an alternative route for vehicles while allowing development opportunities for a new transport hub, purpose-built student accommodation and modern health facilities.
The Hereford Transport Package includes proposals for a new bypass plus improvements to walking and cycling facilities in the city.
The South Wye Transport Package includes proposals for a Southern Link Road plus improvements to walking and cycling facilities south of the river.
Hereford Transport Strategy Review
The current transport strategy for Hereford is being reviewed to ensure the city has the infrastructure needed to meet travel needs now and into the future.
The review is considering ways to reduce traffic and improve flow to:
- Make it more pleasant to move around the city
- Create attractive well-maintained public areas that support walking and cycling and
- Introduce a high quality, well-connected and low carbon transport system
Alongside a review of current road proposals (Hereford bypass and Southern link road), this will include looking at options that deliver improvements more quickly, including:
- The possibility of an eastern link road and river crossing
- Removal of traffic lights on key routes
- Emergency response arrangements to remove breakdowns on A49
- An electric bus fleet for the urban bus network and
- Improvements that provide safer routes to school
Tell us about your experience
We would like to know more about your experiences of travel in Hereford, what works well and the improvements you would like to see. To give your input please see our travel survey.