Who can claim Council Tax Reduction

In certain circumstances, you can get help to pay your Council Tax bill. The amount of Council Tax Reduction you can claim depends on your circumstances. You can use our benefits calculator to find out if you are eligible for a discount. More help is available if you are pension-age than if you are working-age

You can get help to pay your Council Tax if you are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill and:

  • You are on a low income whether from benefits, low-paid work or self-employed work
  • You (and your partner) don't have more than £16,000 in savings and capital (£6,000 from 1 April 2016), unless you are getting Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit)
  • You get Universal Credit, because it only includes help with your rent, not with your Council Tax

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out how much help you can get.

You can't get help if any of the following apply:

  • You (and your partner) have more than £6,000 in savings or capital if you are working age, or more than £16,000 in savings or capital if you are of pensionable age.
  • You are an asylum seeker, unless you have been given refugee status or indefinite or exceptional leave (also called discretionary or humanitarian leave) to remain in the United Kingdom
  • You have been admitted to the United Kingdom on condition that you have 'no recourse to public funds'. This means that you must not claim benefits
  • You are a sponsored immigrant and have lived here for less than five years, unless your sponsor has died
  • You are in the United Kingdom illegally or your permission to stay has run out

Apply for help with your Council Tax

See more information on Herefordshire Council's Council Tax reduction scheme