Pension-age people and Council Tax Reduction

How much can I get off my bill?

If you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit, you may be entitled to 100 percent off your Council Tax bill.

How do you work out how much I can get?

This depends on your income and your household's circumstances, which includes people living with you.

It is also based on your Council Tax bill after any other discounts you have received have been taken off your bill. We then reduce the bill further by the amount of Council Tax Reduction you can get and send you a bill for what is left. Your new bill will show any discounts and reductions that have been taken off.

You cannot get help at all if you (and your partner) have more than £16,000 in savings or capital, unless you are receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit).

Apply for help with your Council Tax

Is there any other help?

Even if you are getting a reduction in your Council Tax bill, you may still be able to get other discounts or 'money off', like single person discount for people over 18 living alone.

Second adult rebate

You may, if you cannot get a Council Tax Reduction, be able to get second adult rebate.

Second adult rebate is for someone who lives with you, who is not your partner and whose income is low enough or is on certain benefits. If you are entitled to second adult rebate then the amount of Council Tax you have to pay is reduced by up to 25 percent.

Manage your claim online

If you are already claiming Council Tax Reduction then you can track your claim online. You will be able to see all the details we hold on your claim.