Working-age people and Council Tax Reduction

All working-age people have to pay at least 20 percent of their bill, however this is reduced to 16 percent for certain exempt groups, even if you receive benefits or have a low income. You can get help with the remaining 84 or 80 percent (this is restricted to a Band C equivalent). How much help you get towards this depends on your income and household circumstances. Even if you qualify for Council Tax reduction, you may also be able to get discounts or 'money off', like single person discount for people over 18 who live alone.

We work out how much help you are entitled to based on your bill after any Council Tax discounts have been applied. We then reduce your bill by any Council Tax reduction you are eligible for and send you a bill for what's left. Your bill will show any discounts and reductions that we have taken off.

See who can claim Council Tax Reduction.

Apply for help with your Council Tax