Reception class admissions
Admission to a primary school reception class for September 2014
Please note that the school admissions team are now based at the council's Plough Lane offices.
If your child was born between 1 September 2009 to 31 August 2010 you will need to apply for a reception class place for your child.
Application packs were sent to all known 3 year olds in September 2013. We get this information from your NHS Primary Care Trust, so make sure that you're registered with a GP surgery and that they have your up-to-date details.
The deadline for applications is 15 January 2014.
If you have not received a pack by the end of September 2013, please call us on 01432 260926 or 261574 or alternatively complete the application form for a reception class place and, if applying for a church school, the application form for a church school place and return the forms to us at the address below.
When you'll find out
The offer date for 2014/15 reception class admissions is 16 April 2014.
If you need help to understand a document, or would like it in another format or language, please call 01432 260500 or complete our contact us form.
A Polish version of the application form can be downloaded at www.welcometoherefordshire.com.
If you have any questions relating to the admission process please contact us:
When will my child start school?
The law requires children to be in full time education by the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday, but in Herefordshire most children start earlier than that. When your child starts school depends on you and the school your child will attend - make sure you discuss this with your chosen school.
School and college transport policy amendments
We consulted on our school transport policy and post 16 special educational needs transport policy between 4 September and 18 October 2013.
The following recommendation is being made to cabinet on 13 March 2014.
Cabinet agree to amend or remove the discretionary transport policies with effect from September 2015 as follows:
(a) To withdraw the Herefordshire free home to school transport policy eligibility based upon nearest and catchment school and replace with eligibility based upon:
i) Nearest suitable school with places
ii) Where the nearest suitable school is in Wales, transport will be provided to that school or the nearest school in England
(b) To withdraw free transport for Herefordshire post 16 years with SEN and replace with the requirement for all post 16 years with SEN to pay the same contribution as all other post 16 students from September 2015.
(c) To apply the policy change in a) only to those children newly entering a school from September 2015.
(d) The implications of these policy changes be reviewed annually or sooner in the event that the impact of the proposed changes is materially worse than anticipated.
What this means is that:
- We are changing the home to school transport policy so that we provide the statutory minimum we are required to
- The policy change will come into effect a year later than originally planned - September 2015
- In addition, the policy will be introduced on a phased basis:
- Parents/carers free transport entitlement for the current year 6 moving into Year 7 and YR children (those starting schools in September 2014) will be on the basis of their nearest and catchment school
- All pupils will be able to keep their current entitlement to transport through to when they leave their school (subject to point 4 below), for details see the home to school transport charging table
- For children starting or transferring school from September 2015 their transport entitlement will be on the basis of nearest school only
- All post 16 SEN students will be asked to contribute the same as other post 16 students from September 2015
- The level of charging for vacant seats, denominational and post 16 transport in September 2014 will go up as agreed by cabinet from £660 to £720. The level of charge for these services in September 2015 has not yet been agreed as it changes annually and is moving towards full cost recovery. We are looking to introduce payment methods which mean parents who elect to buy a vacant seat can pay easily and through regular payments