Apply for a secondary school place 2023
If you live in Herefordshire and your child is due to transfer from primary Year 6 and start secondary school in Year 7 in September 2023 then you must apply for their school place between 5 September and 31 October 2022.
If your child has an EHCP you do not need to apply on this page. Please view the information for children with an EHCP moving to secondary school.
How to apply
Please read the secondary school admissions guidance documents before making an application.
Deadline for applying
The deadline for applying for a secondary school place is 31 October 2022.
Secondary school online applications are open 5 September 2022 - 31 October 2022.
Click on the yellow box which will take you to the online application.
Parents and carers can only request a paper application if they have no access to the internet, otherwise all applications are to be made in the normal way via the online portal. You can request a form from the secondary transfer admissions officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Please note - It is your responsibility to ensure that your paper application form reaches the council. We recommend you return your completed application via recorded delivery to
- School Admissions Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford, Herefordshire HR4 0LE
We also advise contacting the school admissions team directly on 01432 260925 to ensure your application form has been received.
Received between 1 November 2022 and up to 13 January 2023 - Applications received between these dates will be classed as late and will be processed after the national offer date 1 March 2023 (with the exception of any that have evidence of a genuine reason for the lateness) but this may not be the case for requests in another local authority.
Received after 13 January 2023 - These applications will be processed after the national offer date 1 March 2023 in the second allocation stage.
How we will notify you
We will notify you of the outcome of your application for a secondary school place on the national offer date of 1 March 2023.
- If you applied online or applied on a paper application and you stated an email on the form you will receive an automatic email informing you to log into your account to download your offer letter and information on what you as a parent need to do next.
- If you applied on a paper copy and didn’t state an email address you will receive a letter in the post
- Telephone: Dawn Skyrme 01432 260925
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: School Admissions, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane Offices, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE