Skip to main content

Make a complaint about a council service

Our commitment

We are committed to providing high quality services at all times. All staff work hard to get things right, but sometimes things do go wrong. If you are not happy with the level of service you have received from the council and wish to complain, please let us know. By doing this you will help us to improve our services.

We value complaints as a means to continuously review and improve the services we offer. Listening to customers and understanding people’s experiences can help us resolve mistakes more quickly, and prevent the same problems from happening in the future.

Access to information

You can read more about this in our Access to information policy in the documents on this page, which sets out how we will deal with all formal complaints and requests for information held by the council.

Before you contact us

Please check which of the following best suits your needs:

  • Service request  If you wish to make an enquiry, or report a fault or a problem directly to the service concerned, this is a service request. Please use our customer services Contact us form in the first instance
  • A formal complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction about the standard of service, actions or lack of action by the council, our staff or contractors.
    If your issue has not been resolved by the service request, please use the formal complaints form.

How we can help

We have a dedicated information access team who can help you with all formal complaints relating to council services. This includes adult social care. The only exception is for representations and complaints about services for children and young people. These complaints are dealt with by the children's quality assurance team and are managed by the children's complaints manager.

How to make a formal complaint

You can make a formal complaint in any of the following ways:

What to expect

We will:

  • Acknowledge your complaint, normally within five working days
  • Provide you with a date for a full detailed response
  • Investigate your complaint
  • Make every effort to resolve your complaint and ensure that it is investigated fully and fairly
  • Deal with you in resolving your complaint with dignity and respect

If you are still unhappy you can take your complaint further by contacting the Ombudsman Service:

  • Telephone: 024 7682 0000
  • Address: The Local Government Ombudsman, PO Box 4771, Coventry CV4 0EH

You can contact the Ombudsman at any point. However, it is their usual practice not to deal with a complaint themselves until the local complaints procedure has been completed.

Unreasonable behaviour policy

We expect all council employees to deal with members of the public with dignity and respect at all times. This is embedded in the council's values, behaviour policy and code of conduct.

We also expect all members of the public to behave in a reasonable manner when dealing with officers of the council.

The Unreasonable behaviour policy sets out clearly what behaviours are deemed as unreasonable and unacceptable, and what the council will do if members of the public do not behave in an appropriate way.  

You can read a summary of the policy or download the full policy from the documents section of this page.

A to Z of services