Contact your ward councillor

Councillors are directly elected to represent the people and therefore have to consider not just the interests of their ward, but those throughout the whole county.

Your councillors are responsible for making sure that the services that the council provides meet the needs of residents and those who work in Herefordshire. They do this by setting the overall policies and strategies for the council and by monitoring the way in which these are implemented. Councillors have a complex role and act in a number of capacities: as committee member, constituency representative and party activist.

The full Council of 53 members is responsible for agreeing the main policies and priorities for all services, including the council's budget. The cabinet have responsibility for all decisions which the law, or the Council, does not require to be taken by others and agrees policies and actions to implement the budget and policies set by full Council. Councillors who are cabinet portfolio holders have more specialised roles in agreeing particular policies, representing the council while at the same time working with other agencies to tackle issues such as improving overall health and wellbeing, social care and safeguarding, education, housing, transport, and promoting economic growth within the county.

Your councillor can:

  • Be contacted to discuss your problem or ideas to improve the ward or county
  • Help you if you need information or are dissatisfied with a council service by advising or directing you to someone who can help sort out your problem, and can sometimes progress the case on your behalf
  • As a community leader, put forward proposals to improve the ward they represent which may include bringing together different community groups to develop a case for change
  • Campaign on local issues
  • Represent your community within the council and to other organisations
  • Speak at planning and regulatory committee on matters affecting the ward they represent
  • Ask questions or put forward views on your behalf at public meetings of the council
  • Present petitions on your behalf
  • Get an issue (either within the remit of the council or on a matter affecting the county) debated at full Council by submitting a motion.

Find your local ward councillor