Apply for regularisation

Regularisation is the term used to describe the process for getting approval for work you have started or finished without getting approval.

You must apply for regularisation and we'll check whether the work completed meets the building regulation standards. If we're satisfied that it does, we can give approval and we'll issue a regularisation certificate. If it doesn't, you might have to correct the work or pay a fine.

You cannot get retrospective approval for any work completed before 12 November 1985.

If you do not tell us about work that has started, or has been completed, without building regulation approval, you could be fined and you will not have the certificates of compliance you may need when you want to sell your home.

Download the building regulations application form

Please also refer to the regularisation certificate notes and checklist for guidance when completing the regularisation application form.