Choose which application to use
Domestic building projects which may require Buildings Regulations consent include extensions, garage conversions, loft conversions and cellar conversions.
Where building regulations are applicable to your building works you have three options:
- Approval with full plans application. You can use our checklist to see if an approval with full plans application is suitable for the proposed work
- Building notice application. You can use our checklist to see if a building notice application is suitable for the proposed work
- Retrospective (Regularisation) application
Whichever route you choose there will be building control charges to pay. Please contact us to find out the charges for your project.
Approval with full plans
- You submit detailed plans and other relevant information to building control
- We check everything complies with the building regulations
- If satisfactory we issue an approval notice
Where the proposals are found to be unsatisfactory a building control surveyor will contact you in writing so that the plans can be amended.
Advantages of an approval with full plans application
- As long as the construction work follows the approved plans, it will meet the regulations
- You will have a copy of the full plans approval which may be requested by financial institutions, solicitors and surveyors if you apply for an additional home loan or if you move house
The building notice allows for building work to be undertaken without the submission of detailed plans. It's commonly used when the type of building work is straightforward, and the people responsible for the construction have a reasonable knowledge of the regulations.
A building control surveyor may request further information, such as structural design calculations or construction details. The work will be inspected as it proceeds, but you won't receive any official decision notice confirming that the proposals have been passed.
Advantages of a building notice application
- You can save time and money by not having to prepare and submit detailed plans
For any additional help you need with your building control application, please get in touch using the contact details below.
Building control contact detailsAddress: Herefordshire Council Building Control, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE
- Twitter - Herefordshire Council Building Control
- Privacy notice for building regulations applications