Volunteer at Hereford Cemetery
We are looking for volunteer groundspersons at Hereford Cemetery, Crematorium Grounds, Westfaling Street, Hereford HR4 0JE.
The cemetery is open Monday to Friday, 9am to 4.30pm. The number of sessions you volunteer in a month are flexible and can be discussed, but once agreed we ask you to commit to those times so we can develop a rota.
By joining us as a volunteer, you can become an important part of our team, learn new skills, meet new people and play a vital role in helping to preserve Hereford Cemetery as a place of historic interest and beauty.
- General weeding
- Care of memorial trees (three gardens), pruning, caring and monitoring
- "Have a cuppa with us"
Skills and experience
- Enthusiasm for the outdoors
- Interest in landscapes, habitats and our fauna
- Sensitivity around cemetery life, services and historical monuments
- The ability to interact in a team
- A reasonable level of health and fitness
- Reliability and good time keeping
- Ability to follow instructions
- All our volunteers receive induction training, including, an introduction to the cemetery site and buildings, staff, working practice, customer care, health and safety and emergency procedures
- A named supervisor/s from the staff team
- Any additional relevant training will be provided with everything you'll need to know how to carry out your role
- Part of a supportive volunteer team as well as getting support from onsite staff
Through regular contact and review, volunteers and supervisors will discuss how the placement is going to ensure each volunteer is comfortable with the activity matched to them. All volunteer placements are subject to a one month probationary period to ensure that volunteers are best placed. A review of the placement will be ongoing (the door is always open) or volunteer has concerns about their existing placement. This is to ensure that the volunteer and activities are properly suited.
Travel and expenses
Expenses incurred directly as a result of the volunteering will need to be agreed in advance and then can be claimed (supported by receipts).
All volunteers are covered by Herefordshire Council’s Public Liability Insurance as long as you adhere to all training and supervisory advice and practices.
How to apply
To apply, contact the Crematorium Office.