Direct payments

If you or someone you care for has been assessed by social care services as eligible for care and support from the council, you will be offered a personal budget. When your personal budget is in place, you can ask the council to arrange your care for you or you can use a direct payment so that you can arrange your care and support yourself. Depending on your personal circumstances, you might be asked to make a contribution towards your personal budget. People who have savings and capital above £23,250, other than the home they live in, are not eligible for financial assistance towards non-residential care services from Herefordshire Council. We can make direct payments to:

  • Elderly people who need community care services
  • Carers aged 16 and over
  • People with parental responsibility for a disabled child
  • Disabled parents for children's services
  • Disabled people aged 16 or over (with short or long term needs)

You can use direct payments to:

  • Employ your own staff to help with your personal care needs and running your home
  • Buy services from a social care agency
  • Maintain your relationships and social activities
  • Maintain a healthy lifestyle
  • Arrange short breaks
  • Get equipment for your home

For more help and advice on direct payments, email: or call 01432 260060