Support and advice with managing direct payments
If you have been offered a personal budget by Herefordshire Council and are considering taking a direct payment to manage the budget there are several sources of support and help available to you:
- View and download our factsheets - or request them from your care worker. Read through these to see if direct payments will suit you, or for help with a specific topic
- Direct payment officers are available to support you in setting up or deciding whether to take direct payments
- The council's approved providers for direct payment support - organisations which can provide services to help you manage your direct payments
Support with finding out about and setting up direct payments
The council's direct payment officers can provide you with some help and support free of charge, such as:
- Advice about the costs of services and day activities available to you
- Advice on payment card accounts or setting up direct payment bank account
- Paying your personal contributions or personal top-up into your direct payment account
- Information about using the council's approved direct payment support providers and what they can offer you
- Help you to find information, support and advice about being an employer.
- Help you with information about using a care agency
- Helping you understand the requirements of the financial accounting of your direct payment.
If you change your mind
If you decide direct payments are not working for you, we can also:
- Advise on closing a direct payment account, including assisting your family or an authorised person to pay all outstanding liabilities
- Help you or an authorised person find information on employment law and redundancy
- Advise and support you completing final accounts to close the direct payment account
Managing your direct payments
There are a number of organisations in Herefordshire that can provide help and information, support and advice about employment law when using direct payments.
This includes help with all the legal aspects of employing a personal assistant such as information, support and advice about employing and recruiting staff and advice and support around self-employment and duties of being an employer.
You are responsible for acting legally as an employer. You do not have to use a council-approved provider but it is recommended so that you have access to the advice and support needed to act legally.
Contact a direct payment officer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01432 260060
- Herefordshire Council, Direct Payment officers
- National Customer Services Centre: Care Quality Commission
Telephone: 03000 616161
- HM Revenue and Customs Telephone: 08457 143143
- New Employers Helpline Telephone: 0845 6070143
- Home Office Helpline Telephone: 0845 010 6677
Fraud prevention privacy notice
If you request financial support from Herefordshire Council to pay for care, the personal information we collect from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity. If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment. View further details of how your information will be used by us and these fraud prevention agencies, and your data protection rights, on our Fraud prevention privacy notice.