Foster a child
Do you want to make a difference? Be a foster carer and begin your incredible journey today.
Fostering provides a family life for children and young adults of all ages who cannot live with their own families. Their families might be going through a difficult time or be ill.
Fostering doesn't just include long term placements, it can be short emergency stays, weekends or holidays. It means everything to us and the children in our care. It can often be what gives them the start in life they deserve and a safe home where they are loved, can learn to be a child again and grow into the young person they want to be.
Fostering is a fantastic and rewarding experience. You'll be fully trained and supported and receive an excellent financial package. We need more foster carers so our children can be placed with families that best reflect their background and culture and, wherever possible, are near to their own families, schools and communities.
You might want to:
- Provide short breaks for children with disabilities
- Support a young adult and teach them life skills such as cooking, laundry and budgeting
- Be a therapeutic foster carer and work with children who have complex behaviours and challenges
- Offer a home to an unaccompanied asylum seeking child
- Provide a forever home that some children need
You can be a foster carer, if:
- You're over 21 (there's no upper age limit)
- You have some experience of children and / or young people
- You're single, married or living with a partner of either gender
- You have a healthy lifestyle
- Full local training and support at no cost
- An excellent allowance which covers all costs
- Your own dedicated social worker
- 24 hour support and respite breaks
- A rewarding career!
There's no one better to tell you about fostering than the people who are currently caring for children. Truth be Told is a short film based on the true accounts of foster carers and their heartfelt experiences of fostering teenagers and sibling groups.
Come and meet a member of the fostering team at the drop in events listed below. No need to book, pop along for a chat and find out more about becoming a foster carer.
- Saturday 8 June and Sunday 9 June - Hereford Food Festival, Hereford Racecourse
- Friday 28 June - Leominster Library, 11.30am to 2pm
If you are unable to attend these events but want to discuss fostering in more detail, please call 01432 383240 and talk to a member of the team, who could arrange a more convenient time to visit you at home.