Foster a child
Do you want to make a difference? Be a foster carer and begin your incredible journey today.
Fostering provides a family life for children and young adults of all ages who cannot live with their own families. Their families might be going through a difficult time or be ill.
Fostering doesn't just include long term placements, it can be short emergency stays, weekends or holidays. It means everything to us and the children in our care. It can often be what gives them the start in life they deserve and a safe home where they are loved, can learn to be a child again and grow into the young person they want to be.
Fostering is a fantastic and rewarding experience. You'll be fully trained and supported and receive an excellent financial package. We need more foster carers so our children can be placed with families that best reflect their background and culture and, wherever possible, are near to their own families, schools and communities.
You might want to:
- Provide short breaks for children with disabilities
- Support a young adult and teach them life skills such as cooking, laundry and budgeting
- Be a therapeutic foster carer and work with children who have complex behaviours and challenges
- Offer a home to an unaccompanied asylum seeking child
- Provide a forever home that some children need
You can be a foster carer, if:
- You're over 21 (there's no upper age limit)
- You have some experience of children and / or young people
- You're single, married or living with a partner of either gender
- You have a healthy lifestyle
- Full local training and support at no cost
- An excellent allowance which covers all costs
- Your own dedicated social worker
- 24 hour support and respite breaks
- A rewarding career!
Don't just take our word for it. The Hanson family work with us and they've fostered over 300 children in 40 years; they even received an MBE for it! See what they say about how it feels to be a foster carer, watch their short video.
Come and meet a member of the fostering team at the drop in events listed below. No need to book, pop along for a chat and find out more about becoming a foster carer.
- Wednesday 24 October at Hereford Library between 11.30am and 1.30pm
- Wednesday 31 October at the Family Festival Fun Day, The Courtyard Theatre, Hereford from 10am
- Thursday 8 November at Leominster Library between 11.30am and 1.30pm