Could you foster?
To become a foster carer with Herefordshire Council:
- You must be over the age of 21 - there is no upper age limit, as long as you lead a healthy lifestyle you may apply
- You must have a spare bedroom but you don't need to own your home
- You don't need any qualifications to become a foster carer - your life experience with children and young people is equally as important
- You can apply if you are single, married or living with a partner of either gender
- In many cases, you can continue to work and foster at the same time
Still unsure if fostering is for you - watch our video to help dispel the common myths around fostering. Got any questions? Get in touch.
You will be expected to pass various statutory checks. Minor criminal offences may not affect your application so do not let this hold you back. We ask that you are open and honest throughout the assessment process.
We need more Herefordshire foster carers so that our children can be placed with local families that best reflect their background and culture and, wherever possible, are near to their own families, schools and communities.