Supported lodgings is a stepping stone to provide young people, age 16+ years who are leaving care or homeless, with safe accommodation and support while they develop the skills to live independently.
We are looking for people with the right attributes to take on the rewarding challenge of inspiring young people and helping them learn the life skills to move forward positively. You will help them with:
- Accessing further education, training, apprenticeships or employment
- Practical skills such as food planning, cooking, cleaning and laundry
- Financial management and budgeting
- Accessing housing and benefits
- Confidence building, citizenship and interpersonal skills
- Health management
As well as practical skills, supported lodgings providers offer emotional support around relationships, self-esteem, family dynamics and advocate on behalf of the young person.
What you will need
To be a supported lodgings provider you will need:
- A spare room or annexe at your home (but you don't need to own your home)
- A genuine commitment to making a difference to a young person's life
- The ability to engage with young people
- An understanding of the issues and challenges young people face
- The willingness to work as part of a wider support team
- Confidence, patience, tolerance, flexibility, positivity and a good sense of humour
- To be a good role model and mentor
- The ability to help a young person learn practical and emotional skills
- To be over 21 (there is no upper age limit)
Experience as a parent or working with young people would be useful but is not essential. You can continue to work while providing supported lodgings and, as with fostering, we welcome applications from the whole community. Your sexuality, marital status or culture will not affect your application.
What we offer
Inspiring young people and helping them become independent is a highly rewarding challenge but it's not one we would expect you to do alone or for free.
- Weekly payments to cover rent, food and utilities
- Support from a dedicated supported lodgings provider social worker
- An excellent programme of local training to extend your skills
- Opportunities to meet with experienced supported lodgings providers
- Membership to the Fostering Network