Overnight short breaks for children with disabilities
This scheme provides family based overnight short breaks in carers' homes for children with disabilities. This is an extremely rewarding and caring role, where a child will come and stay with you and your family at regular intervals throughout the year. The number of short breaks you offer will fit around you, your family and lifestyle, so can be as few or as many as you can give.
You will form a close relationship with the child and their family and become an important part of the child's wider support network. You will not only be giving the child's family a break from their daily caring responsibilities but also offering the child the chance to get away for a short break, experience new things, meet new people and develop their sense of independence.
The scheme is an extremely valuable service to families and children with disabilities and can also be a great way to get into fostering.
You can join this scheme if:
- You're over 21 (there's no upper age limit)
- You have some experience of children and/or young people
- You're single, married or living with a partner of either gender
- You have a healthy lifestyle
- Full local training and support at no cost
- An excellent allowance which covers all costs
- Your own dedicated social worker
- 24 hour support
- Local support meetings with other carers
- Membership of the Fostering Network
- A rewarding career!
For an insight into what being an overnight short break carer is like, you can read Julia's story.