About Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit helps you to pay a part of, or all of, your rent if you are unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. You can use our benefits calculator to work out how much benefit you are entitled to. The amount of Housing Benefit you get depends on your circumstances.


You can only make a new application for Housing Benefit if one of the following is true:

  • You have reached State Pension age If you are a couple you must both be of State Pension age. If you are a couple and one of you is of Working Age then you would be classed as a Mixed Age Couple and will need to claim Universal Credit
  • You live in temporary accommodation
  • Your landlord is a registered social landlord or voluntary organisation and you are in need, and in receipt, of care support or supervision
  • You are in receipt of Severe Disability Premium
  • You were in receipt of Severe Disability Premium within the last month and you are still eligible for it

Severe Disability Premium means you are receiving one of the following disability benefits, and live alone (or are classed as living alone) and no one must be in receipt of Carer’s Allowance (CA) or the Universal Credit Carer Element for caring for you:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) care component at the middle or higher rate
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component at the standard or enhanced rate
  • Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

If none of the above criteria apply to you, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead.

All postcodes in Herefordshire are now subject to Universal Credit.

Who isn't entitled to Housing Benefit?

You won’t be entitled to Housing Benefit if you are:

  • A full-time student (unless you are disabled)
  • A close relative of your landlord and live with your landlord
  • A Crown Tenant
  • An asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
  • Subject to immigration control and your granted leave states that you cannot claim public funds
  • Residing in the UK as a European Economic Area jobseeker

or if you:

  • Have capital exceeding £16,000 (unless you receive Guaranteed Credit)
  • Are paying a mortgage on your own home
  • Are already claiming Universal Credit (unless you’re in temporary or supported housing)

or if:

  • Your partner is claiming Housing Benefit

If you think you may be entitled based on the above criteria, you can make an application using our online claim form.

Apply for help to pay your rent

Council Tax Reduction

If you are not entitled to Housing Benefit and you are claiming Universal Credit, you may be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax.

Changes in circumstances

Your circumstances affect how much Housing Benefit you receive. If you have a change in your circumstances, it is important you tell us immediately so your award can be revised. For more information, see How your circumstances affect your Housing Benefit award

Contact us if you have moved house or complete our online form if you have had a change in circumstances.

Find out about appeals, backdating and overpayments