Types of early education provision
There are different types of early education providers available to you in Herefordshire. Choosing the right kind of provision to support your child's learning and development is a big step. To help you make your decision you can find more information from the Early Years Alliance's How to choose the right early education provision.
- Childminders look after your child and other children, usually in the childminder’s home.
- Nannies and home child carers are employed by you to provide care for your children, usually in your home. These types of carers can register on the Ofsted voluntary register.
- Day nurseries provide care and education for children between six weeks and five years old. Some also offer out of school care for five to eleven year olds.
- Pre-schools provide care and most offer early education for children between two and five years old.
- School or governor-run early years provision offers term-time only provision in a maintained primary, academy or independent school for children age from 2 to 4+ years old, run either directly by the school or by the governing body.
- Local authority maintained nursery classes are all attached to a particular primary school. They provide 15 hours each week of education for children aged 3 to 5. Some offer early education for 2 year olds and 30 hours early education for eligible children
The following schools in Herefordshire have local authority maintained nursery classes:
- Ashfield Park Primary School, Ross-on-Wye
- Broadlands Primary School, Hereford
- Kington Primary School
- Ledbury Primary School
- Leominster Primary School
- Lord Scudamore Primary School, Hereford
- Marlbrook Primary School, Hereford
- Riverside Primary School, Hereford
- St Martin's Primary School, Hereford
- St Peter's Primary School, Bromyard
- Weobley Primary School
- Withington Primary School
- Breakfast clubs, after-school clubs and holiday play schemes/clubs offer supervised play and care for school-aged children before and after the school day, and sometimes during the main school holidays