How to complain about an early education provider

If you have any concerns about your early education provider, you should raise it with the provider directly in the first instance. Most complaints can be resolved with an informal discussion and agreement on how to resolve the issue.

If you cannot resolve matters in this way, you should make a formal complaint in writing to the provider. All providers must fully investigate written and emailed complaints, giving an account of their findings within 28 days.

Providers need to have procedures in place for parents who wish to make a complaint relating to the Early Years Foundation Stage, including a written complaints policy setting out the process. This is set out in law.

Childminders are not required to have a written procedure for handling complaints, but they must keep a record of any complaints they receive and their outcome.

Ofsted regulates and inspects most early education and childcare providers. If you have an unresolved issue with a provider relating to quality or the regulation of childcare, then Ofsted should be made aware. Please contact Ofsted on 0300 123 4666 or by email at

Children at risk

If you are concerned about a child being harmed, or who may be at risk from harm, and you cannot speak to the provider, please contact:

Herefordshire's Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01432 260800.

Alternative childcare arrangements for parents and carers if your childcare provider has been suspended

When Ofsted suspend a provider's registration, parents and carers may need to make other childcare arrangements.

We can provide details of other registered childcare providers in your area that may have spare places. For all enquiries please contact the Schools Effectiveness Team on 01432 383858 or email

Further information about the Ofsted process for suspending a provider's registration.