Important documents - care leavers

Your social worker will help you to apply for your National Insurance number as soon as you are old enough. You should have this before your 16th birthday.

We will make sure you have photographic identification, which you will need to access services. We will pay for you to have a passport and/or a provisional driving licence (even if you don’t want to learn to drive).

If you don’t have one we will support you to get a copy of your birth certificate.

If you don’t have citizenship in the UK you can speak to your social worker or personal advisor about what support you can get to apply for naturalisation. This is a long and complicated process and you will usually need to speak to an immigration solicitor.