Asylum-seeking young people

If you have been recognised as a refugee or have been granted leave to remain then you will be entitled to the same support from Herefordshire as other care leavers.

If you become “appeal rights exhausted” (ARE) then you become ineligible for leaving care support (Schedule 3 of the Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act 2002). We will only be able to support you to the extent necessary to avoid breaching your rights under the European Convention on Human Rights. Your social worker or personal advisor will complete an assessment to see what support we can provide for you.

You are likely to be eligible for practical and financial assistance and support in returning to your home country from the Voluntary Returns Service, run by the Home Office.