Coronation of King Charles III - street parties

Coronation emblem in blue

See what events are happening locally on our Talk Community directory or on the Coronation interactive map.

These notes are to help you if you are planning a street party to celebrate the Coronation of King Charles III.  A street party is one that is organised for local residents of a street and publicised amongst themselves. If you are organising something much bigger that is publicised for anybody to attend, it becomes a larger public event.

Several websites provide advice and guidance on organising a street party or a Coronation Big Lunch:

Road closure applications

If you wish to hold your street party or Coronation Big Lunch on the road outside then you will need to apply for a road closure

You can download and complete a form or you can contact Balfour Beatty Living Places by telephone on (01432) 261800.

Please submit your road closure application 6 weeks or more before your event to give sufficient time for it to be processed. 

  • For parties planned for the 6 to 8 May 2023 Applications are now closed

There is no cost for an application for a road closure for a local residential street party.

There will generally not be an issue with a quiet residential street or cul-de-sac but if you wish to close a more major route, permission may not be given.

Closing the road

You will need to close the road to traffic on the day by using signage/cones/barriers. You will need to organise obtaining these prior to the event.

Access on the day of the street party

You will need to allow access to residents who may not wish or be able to take part in the event.  This may be on foot or by vehicle.

You also need to ensure that there is sufficient room left on the street for an emergency vehicle, such as an ambulance or fire engine to gain access in case of an emergency.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service have requested that fire hydrant marker posts are not obscured from view. They also ask that any temporary street furniture such as tables and chairs is not placed over fire hydrants.

Licences – Temporary Event Notice

If the residents are bringing their own food and alcohol to the street party then no licence in the form of a Temporary Event Notice is required. However, if there is going to be either food or alcohol for sale then you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

For further details see the temporary event notice page

Music and noise

If you have some background music at the street party that is incidental to it, then you would not need a licence in the form of a Temporary Event Notice. However, if you are having a live band playing then this becomes an event and will require a Temporary Event Notice and an event management plan. Find out more on our noise pollution page.

Please be mindful that not all residents may wish or will be able to take part in the event. Music can be intrusive if it's too loud.

Cleaning up afterwards

Please ensure that all rubbish and detritus is cleared away after the street party has finished. It is expected that no street cleaning will be required.

Public liability insurance

We would always recommend that public liability insurance is obtained for your event. There are details on both the street party website and the Big Lunch website above where insurance can be obtained at a reasonable cost.

Time of the event and noise

The event, specifically music, can have an intrusive impact on neighbours. Therefore it is expected the events will finish at 9pm.

Official logo of Coronation of Charles the third