Temporary Event Notice

You should apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) if you want to carry out 'licensable activity' on unlicensed premises.

Licensable activity includes:

  • The retail sale of alcohol (at any time)
  • The provision of regulated entertainment (at any time) or
  • The provision of hot food or hot drink (between 11pm and 5am)

You must apply no later than 12 working days before the event.

If the premises where the event is held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities, you must apply to each.

Regulated entertainment

Please refer to Schedules 1 and 2 to the Licensing Act 2003 for fuller details of the definitions and exemptions relating to regulated entertainment and late night refreshment. Regulated entertainment, subject to specified conditions and exemptions, includes:

  • a) A performance of a play
  • b) An exhibition of a film
  • c) An indoor sporting event
  • d) A boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • e) A performance of live music
  • f) Any playing of recorded music
  • g) A performance of dance
  • h) Entertainment of a similar description to that falling within (e), (f) or (g)

Standard Temporary Event Notice

This notice is one which is received by us at least 10 working days (this authority requests you submit it at least 12 working days) before the event. Working days does not include the day of the event, the day the notice is given or weekends or public holidays.

Late Temporary Event Notice

This notice is one which is received by us no earlier than nine working days before the event and no less than five working days before the event. Working days does not include the day of the event, the day the notice is given or weekends or public holidays.


Your event must:

  • Have fewer than 500 people at all times - including staff running the event
  • Last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
About this licence

A fee of £21 for each event must accompany the notice when you submit it. Cheques should be made payable to Herefordshire Council.

If you are unable to pay via cheque please call 01432 261761 to make payment over the phone with a credit or debit card. At the time of payment please quote the applicant name, event date and premises name.

Online applications via GOV.UK require an online payment to be made either by credit or debit card at the time of submission.

Application and guidance notes

Pre-application service

We now offer a pre-application service which can be tailored to meet your needs and is for applicants applying for any type of licence under the Licensing Act. We offer three levels of service - application advice, application assistance, and a check and send service or any combination of these. Find out more about this service.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

We are accepting Temporary Event Notices (TEN) by email. If you wish to apply for a Temporary Event Notice by email, please email

Please send all completed postal applications to Licensing Department, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE, complete with £21 cheque made payable to Herefordshire Council.

If you apply by post, you must also send a copy of the application to the Police and to Environmental Protection at the following addresses:

We will only send notices on behalf of the applicant to responsible authorities if submitted via GOV.UK or email.

Failure to submit the postal notice to the responsible authorities may result in your notice being rejected.

If you are thinking of holding an event in Herefordshire, please notify the Safety Advisory Group (SAG).

Processing and timescales

Tacit consent

Tacit consent applies to Temporary Event Notices. This means that you can assume your notice has been granted after 10 working days unless you've heard from us that there have been representations from responsible authorities.

Due to staff shortage, we are not currently advising on or issuing Temporary Event Notices (TENs) as they have tacit consent.

You will need to retain copies of the documents below listed and have these in your possession at the time of the event:

  • Email from GOV UK confirming receipt of your TEN application
  • Email from GOV UK confirming receipt of your payment for £21
  • A copy of the TEN application made

We will only contact the applicant if there is a problem.

There are no refunds available for any TENs that are incorrect, cancelled or postponed.

If the notice submitted is incorrect, then it is up to the applicant to re-apply and pay the fee again adhering to all timescales set out in the legislation.

Validity and renewals

The maximum number of events per place within a calendar year is 15 or 21 days whichever comes first. In calculating the number of days, any event that goes over midnight is classed as two days.


View the events register

Contact us in the first instance.
Contact details
  • Telephone: 01432 261761 (All calls are dealt with by our contact centre staff and are allocated to an officer who will take action on the service request between one to ten working days)
  • Email:
  • Address: Herefordshire Council, Licensing Department, Plough Lane, Hereford HR4 0LE - for correspondence only
    There is no reception open to the general public in respect of licensing at Plough Lane and staff have no access or ability to photocopy applications or documents.
    You should send applications or documents by email to

Emails to the department are allocated to the appropriate staff member who will take action between one to ten working days.
If you have not had a response before the 10 working days have expired please do not contact us again, as it may further delay a response. Please also ensure you have quoted your licence or taxi licence reference number or given your address in your call/email.
Sending repeat or chaser emails will not prompt a quicker response and may result in a back log of emails and a possible further delay.

Thank you for your understanding.