Frequently asked questions about eligibility
In relation to the outcomes, how is "unable to achieve" defined by the national eligibility criteria?
An adult is regarded as being unable to achieve an outcome if the adult:
- Is unable to achieve it without assistance, or
- Is able to achieve it without assistance but doing so causes the adult significant pain, distress or anxiety, or
- Is able to achieve it without assistance but doing so endangers or is likely to endanger the health or safety of the adult, or of others, or
- Is able to achieve it without assistance but takes significantly longer than would normally be expected
How is wellbeing defined by the national eligibility criteria?
The Care Act defines wellbeing in relation to the nine areas listed below:
- Personal dignity (treating the individual with respect)
- Physical and mental health and emotional wellbeing
- Protection from abuse and neglect
- Control by the individual over day to day life (including over care and support)
- Participating in work, education, training and recreation
- Social and economic wellbeing
- Domestic, family and personal relationships
- Suitability of living accommodation
- The individual's contribution to society
What happens if I have eligible needs for care and support from the council?
We will complete a financial assessment as well as a care assessment to find out what financial help you may be entitled to.
What happens if I am not eligible for care and support from the council?
As well as letting you know the eligibility decision in writing, we will also provide you with information and advice on what other support might be available to help you. Even if you are not eligible for financial assistance, we can work with you to help you organise and arrange the services you need.
Adult social care contact details
The advice and referral team is your first point of contact for help and support in accessing adult social care and to arrange care and carer assessments and financial assessments:
- Emergency out of hours telephone number: 0330 1239309
- Locality teams contact details
- Feedback and complaints
- Protect someone