Direct payments for disabled children

If your child has been assessed by Herefordshire Council's disabled children’s social care team as being eligible for care and support from the council, you will be offered a direct payment. If you choose to have a direct payment you can use it to arrange care and support services for your child yourself.  

Providing it helps you meet your child’s needs as identified in their assessment, you can use direct payments to:

  • Employ your own staff to help you to meet the needs of your child arising from their disability
  • Buy services from a social care agency
  • Enable your child to maintain friendships and take part in social activities
  • Maintain a healthy lifestyle
  • Arrange short breaks

More help and advice on direct payments is available in the council's direct payments for disabled children factsheets, and in Contact a Family's guide Getting direct payment to buy social care for your disabled child. You can also contact your disabled children's social care team duty worker on 01432 261584 or email