Tips to encourage good school attendance
- Show your child that you think school attendance is important
- Make sure you know what time the school day starts and ensuring your child arrives at school on time. Arriving late can be embarrassing for your child and disruptive to the class, especially if lessons have started. Your child may miss important information which is often given at the start of the day.
- Encourage good habits such as going to bed on time, reading before bed, regular bedtimes
- Encourage your child to get everything ready for school the night before
- Attend parent evenings to discuss your child's progress
- Make appointments for dentist or doctor after school hours or in school holidays where possible and make sure children return to school after an appointment if it has to be in school time
- Always let the school know when your child is off school through illness and when they can expect them back