Schools and education information for service families
The Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS)
The CEAS (part of DCYP) provides confidential and impartial advice to service families on a wide range of educational issues including:
- Parental rights and responsibilities
- Children or young people’s rights and responsibilities
- Special educational needs and/or disability
- School admissions and appeals
CEAS does not make decisions about a child or young person’s education; CEAS advise families to allow them to make informed decisions.
CEAS has created a moving schools guide for parents and a Pupil Passport for children.
Families can seek advice and information from their respective Service Families Federation.
The Families Federations can provide information on a range of topics including:
- Family life.
Naval Families Federation
- Telephone: 023 9265 4374
- Website: https://nff.org.uk
Army Families Federation
- Telephone: 01264 554004
- Website: https://aff.org.uk
Royal Air Force Families Federation
- Telephone: 01780 781650
- Website: www.raf-ff.org.uk
Army Welfare Service Community Support
Community Support staff offer play, youth and community projects, as well as clubs, residential experiences and work within schools. We support service children, young people, and their families across the UK, and overseas, in geographically dispersed communities. Community Support staff combine direct delivery with non-public funded projects, and external links with local partners and agencies.
- Email: RC-AWS-W-CDW@mod.gov.uk
Parents can also access practical and emotional support from charities.
DMWS (Defence medical welfare service)
- Website: www.dmws.org.uk
- Or local contact - Mrs Lee Bayley - Families Welfare Officer across Herefordshire, providing a single point of contact to the Armed Forces Community. Offering information, advice and guidance around emotional and practical support. It’s a confidential and free service for families and carers of ex-servicemen and women. email@example.com
Herefordshire Council Early Help Offer
The Royal British Legion
- Telephone: 0808 802 8080
- Website: www.britishlegion.org.uk
- Telephone: 0800 731 4880
- Website: www.ssafa.org.uk
- Telephone: 0808 802 1212
- Website: www.veteransgateway.org.uk
A charity supporting children who have one or both parents serving in the Armed Forces.
- Website: www.littletroopers.net
The Armed Forces Covenant
The Armed Forces Covenant website hosts a variety of information that may be useful for families.
The HIVE Information Service provides information on behalf of the chain of command to the Service community and welcomes enquiries from serving personnel, dependants, partners, extended families, and the wider military community including veterans and MOD civilians.
In particular the HIVE provides:
- An extensive range of information, focusing on relocation information, local area information, education, accommodation, employment and training opportunities, childcare and travel
- HIVE Information Support Officers (HISOs) who research answers to enquiries and have excellent links with Service and civilian agencies
- A valuable point of contact for serving personnel and families during assignment relocations - through the network of HIVEs across the UK and overseas
- Staff with close links with the unit welfare staff at times of deployment and a communication pack detailing how families can keep in touch during these times
- Confidential referrals should there be a need for personal help or support and a means to feedback to the chain of command concerns and issues affecting the Service community
Visit the HIVE Information Centres web page for further information or to find your local HIVE.