Business waste - your responsibilities
What is business waste?
Business waste is any waste that is produced by a commercial activity, including one run from your home. The law classifies this waste as commercial or industrial waste and you are required to make suitable arrangements for this waste to be stored and disposed of safely and lawfully.
This waste must not be disposed of using the services provided for households.
It includes waste from construction, demolition, industry and agriculture but also includes waste from:
- Holiday homes
- Camp sites
- Charities clubs and societies
- Any part of your home used for a commercial/business activity
- Food and drinks waste from any part of a business premises
- Waste from rented properties collected by the landlord or agent
- Waste produced at a household by builders, painters & decorators and other contractors
- Waste from home businesses, such as childminding, accountancy, salons, catering and dog grooming
If you are unsure about your waste responsibilities have a look at our Business waste guide or see the government guidance on how to dispose of business and commercial waste.