About planning permission

Before you start any building project, you should check whether you need planning permission using the national Planning Portal. If you start work without planning permission, you may have to take down or undo any improvements or adjustments you have made. You may also need building regulations approval.

The planning portal provides guidance on planning permission for common home building projects, new buildings, change of use, and building alterations, as well as listed buildings, conservation areas and areas of land designated as green belt. If you are in any doubt about whether you need to apply for permission, please contact us for advice before you start any work or changes.

The planning process

Once we have received a planning application, we will publicise the proposal (using methods such as site notices and notifying neighbours and parish councils) so that people have a chance to express their views. The specific publicity requirements will depend on the type of application. The formal consultation period normally lasts for 21 days. Anyone may comment on a planning application during this period and comments will be taken into account when Herefordshire Council; Planning Committee make a decision on the application, so long as they raise considerations which are relevant to the proposal and material to planning.

We usually have up to eight weeks to make a decision on minor applications, which include most householder cases and up to thirteen weeks for major development, such as large housing or business sites. Generally, once planning permission is granted, development must be started within three years. If work has not started by then, the applicant will probably need to reapply.

The type of permission, or consent, you need, can vary depending on the nature of the work you propose to carry out. Information on the Planning Portal will help identify what planning permission you need to apply for and how to apply

Lawful Development Certificate (LDC)

If you want to be certain that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes or that your proposal does not require planning permission, you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate. This certificate confirms that a proposed or actual development or use is legally permitted. They are also available for Listed Buildings.