Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
If you're disabled, have severe mobility problems and have difficulty using public transport, you may qualify for a Blue Badge, which lasts for three years. This also includes people with hidden disabilities including autism and severe mental health conditions.
It's a way you can park close to your destination and travel independently.
We administer the Blue Badge parking scheme for disabled residents in Herefordshire. We assess applicants in line with the Department for Transport's national guidance and legislation.
How to apply for or renew a Blue Badge
You can apply for or renew a Blue Badge using our online application process.
A Blue Badge costs £10. There's a concession if you receive certain Armed Forces benefits.
Have your supporting documents ready. You can upload your documents and photo when you complete your application.
If you are renewing your badge, we suggest you apply at least eight weeks before it is due to expire.
Please note if you are renewing your current Blue Badge you should continue to use your existing badge up to and including the expiry date. Your new badge will only be valid from the day after your current badge expires but may arrive several weeks before that date.
If you need support with completing your application we can help with this.
If you can't upload your documents
When completing the online application if you are unable to upload your documents, you can continue without uploading. You can do this for all sections that ask you to upload.
You can then submit your application and email the documents to us at email@example.com or post them to us at Hereford Customer Services, Blue Badge, Blueschool Street, Hereford HR1 2LX.
With your application, you will need:
- An up to date passport sized photograph
- One proof of your address (see list on application form)
- One proof of your identity (see list on application form)
- Proof of your automatic eligibility if applying under the eligible without further assessment criteria (see list on application form)
- Any supporting evidence that would assist the assessment for non-automatic applications if applying under the 'eligible subject to further assessment' criteria. This could be a hospital discharge letter, hospital letters confirming clinics you attend, prescriptions lists or any other documents you feel would support your need for a badge. You can ask for a GP medical summary on your NHS App or contact your surgery and the receptionist can organise this to be sent to you. A GP medical summary is always helpful when determining Blue Badge eligibility
If you need help completing the application please book an appointment with our customer service team or call 01432 260433. All appointments are at Hereford Customer Services, Blueschool Street, Hereford.
Paying for a Blue Badge
If your application is approved, we will send you a payment link via email or call you and take a card payment.
What happens next
We will issue the badge as soon as possible after receiving your completed application, provided we have all the supporting documents required and we have determined you clearly meet the criteria set out by the Department for Transport.
If you do not meet the criteria and we need further evidence, your application will be referred for assessment. This can take up to eight weeks.
Please note your application will automatically close if we do not receive the requested information within 60 days of the date your application was submitted. We are unable to offer any extensions and you will be required to submit a new application.
Herefordshire Council has signed the Armed Forces Covenant pledging that we will endeavour to uphold the key principles of the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that serving personnel, reservists and military families bring to the authority.
If you receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement or you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability, which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking, we will issue your Blue Badge free of charge.