Who is eligible for emergency welfare support?

  • You can apply if you are over 16, have lived in Herefordshire for at least 6 months, or have a strong connection to Herefordshire if you are homeless, or if you have moved to Herefordshire after leaving custody or a care home
  • You are not subject to immigration control, and have no savings or other means of accessing support, and
  • You are in receipt of, or likely to be entitled to benefits because you have a low income. This would usually mean that you are getting:
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
    • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only)
    • Working Tax Credit

or you can demonstrate that you do not have the immediate resources to meet the basic needs of yourself and/or your dependants.

We are not usually able to help if:

  • You have received assistance from the scheme in the last 6 months or have been turned down for assistance from the scheme for the same need in the last 6 months
  • The need could be met through eligibility to any of the following schemes:
    • DWP Short Term Benefit Advance (while awaiting first or increased DWP payment)
    • DWP statutory social fund payments (for example, Winter Fuel Allowance, Sure Start Maternity grants, or Funeral Payments)
    • Requirements under Fair Access to Care services (FACS), for example, our statutory duty to provide medical or disability equipment

We are not usually able to help with housing payments where:

  • You could get help privately, either from your own money or resources, or where other people can support you
  • Where private insurance should cover costs of damages
  • Where liability exists elsewhere which addresses the issue (for example insurance, landlord responsibility)
  • You need help to make up for the reduction in benefit which has been sanctioned or disallowed